In this Issue
We will be starting the exterior plastering and waterproofing on the dome this month.
We have continued to make progress on the garden.
Edwin has finished double-digging four garden beds, and we have all four beds planted. Rows 1 through 3 already have vegetables coming up: spinach, broccoli, squash, beans, corn, okra, lettuce, collard greens, and tomatos. You will also notice we have completed the cattle-proof fence, getting ready for the onslaught of free-range cattle that plagues us every year.
Michael has finished dead-leveling the lower terrace and buttressing the edges with rocks. By dead-leveling, we hope to maximize penetration of monsoon rains when they begin in July. You will also notice the mini-greenhouse in the foreground, which we will use to grow starts for perennials and nurse plants back to health when they fall ill. In the lower terrace, Michael has started an herb garden in the corner and planted pumpkins where they can have plenty of space to spread out.
On the community garden agenda
- We will be continuing to look for sources of horse or other manure and compost or compostables.
- Watering, weeding and more planting of melons
- We have purchased more Agribon row cover material and are waiting for its delivery.
- We will be building wooden frames to attach the material to, to protect the crops from excessive sun, wind dessication, temperature fluctuations, and pests.
- Edwin met again with Warren SHARES and attended a talk on sustainability and toured the Warren SHARES community garden. It was great to share ideas and get new perspectives.
- The work party scheduled for May 8 was postponed, we are still determing the rescheduled date.
- A visitor from Washington State may also be passing through this month.
- A man from Pennsylvania has made contact with us, and is interested in paying a visit and helping out for a while.
Please Spread the Word
If you know of anyone who has a pioneer spirit and is interested in community, ecology, organic gardening, living simply, and personal growth, please pass the word by directing them to http://sacredsanctuary.org and encourage them to subscribe to this newsletter.
With peace and love -
Edwin Basye, Steward